Posted on Sep 03, 2007 | Comments 0
Suffering with fibromyalgia can make your life difficult to lead. It is a chronic syndrome which involves muscle, joint, or bone pain, fatigue and many other symptoms.
According to recent studies, people with fibromyalgia are genetically predisposed.
There is a greater chance for a woman to effect with this condition than a man. 3-6 percent of general population has fibromyalgia.
Most commonly, you will observe this condition in people between the ages of 20 and 50.
It is not a life-threatening condition, but the symptoms can vary day-by-day with periods of flashes or remission.
It affects your emotional health and well-being. Individuals with the symptoms of fibromyalgia can also experience depression at some point in their lives.
Factors associated with fibromyalgia:
In addition to the chronic pain, fibromyalgia is also associated with cloudy thinking, morning stiffness and overall inability to function in their everyday life.
Pain associated with fibromyalgia usually fluctuates and is always associated with local or generalized tenderness. The pathogenesis of central nervous system changes in fibromyalgia is unclear, particularly in muscles those have been implicated.
Fibromyalgia patients experience abnormal stress reactivity, including blunting of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and increased autonomic nervous system responsiveness.
During the diagnosis for fibromyalgia, the conditions that should be considered include: myofascial pain syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroidism.
Combating from the symptoms of fibromyalgia:
Finding what works better for you is most important. The treatment for fibromyalgia should target not only pain reductions, but also improvements of central sensitization and neuroendocrine abnormalities.
- Recent studies found that Cymbalta is a drug when taken in 60mg or 120mg quantity can give you a greater reduction in pain. It works both for patients with or without depression.
- Cymbalta acts effectively to treat depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. But, this medication is not suitable for everyone, especially for those who have taken a type of antidepressant.
- Cymbalta can cause you to experience dizziness or fainting upon standing. Some other side effects include: constipation, dry mouth, nausea, and fatigue.
- Duloxetine is another drug that showed a greater improvement in patients with and without depression.
- Serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain and spinal cord are thought to both mediate core mood symptoms and help in controlling the perception of pain. Duloxetine is an inhibitor of Serotonin and norepinephrine and also regulates the activity of these chemicals in the central nervous system.
- Lyrica is a drug which is recently approved for treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome. This also improves some of the chronic pain, muscle aching and can sometimes improve the function related to the disability from fibromyalgia. After taking this drug for one month, you will observe greater improvement in your condition.
- Cyclobenzaprine when taken in 10-30 mg at bedtime can lower the pain and improve sleep quality.
- Amitriptyline should be taken in 25-50 mg dosage at bedtime.
- Low-frequency neuromodulation therapy works well for fibromyalgia treatment. Low-power electromagnetic pulses reduce chronic musculoskeletal pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
- Include a step wise program in your daily routine which consists of medications, exercise, and cognitive therapy.
- Antidepressants will help to lower the symptoms of fibromyalgia and also improve your sleep quality and global well-being.
- Aerobic activities can reduce symptoms effectively. Particularly practice cardiovascular aerobic conditioning exercises.
- Some of the nonpharmacological therapies for effectiveness in fibromyalgia are acupuncture, balneotherapy, biofeedback, hypnotherapy, and strength training.
Meditation to lower the pain associated with fibromyalgia:
Recent studies show that mindfulness meditationcan greatly help in relieving the symptoms of fibromyalgia. It reduces the stress and suffering associated with wide range of medical conditions.
The improvements in general aspects of well-being, including quality of life, coping and positive effect, as well as decreased anxiety and depression can reduce your pain which is the most common symptom of fibromyalgia.
You will observe a great improvement after learning this mind/body process. Gentle stretching and mindfulness yoga are particularly beneficial. Through active participation, you will experience more benefits. You will find online to know how to do mindfulness meditation.
This improves your overall mental and physical health and also makes you to relax and live a healthier life. You will learn a greater feeling of self-respect and also learn how to deal with physical issues with more confidence.
Your mind will become stable, balanced and centered. You won’t experience any emotional symptoms and your body will experience large quantity of energy. It is better to visit a meditation facilitator who can help you in guiding a special program as a fibromyalgia remedy for mental and physical health.
Initially start practicing meditation for 10-15 minutes and gradually work up to 20-30 minutes. Practice it in a quite location and set the space for only this purpose.
Acupuncture approach for fibromyalgia:
According to recent studies, acupuncture relieves fibromyalgia symptoms. This is particularly effective for people who are unable to take medications or cannot tolerate them. It works by restoring balance throughout the body and also increases the amount of life-force thus restoring the overall health.
Acupuncture blocks the pain impulses from reaching the brain and increase the level of endorphins in the body thus minimizing the pain. Acupuncture increases the levels of chemicals like serotonin, endomorphin-1, beta-endorphin, and encephalin which help to reduce the pain like symptoms effectively.
Stimulation of particular parts of your body by using needles can reduce the pain. It improves blood circulation to reduce the number of tender joints and increase your muscle health.
Posted in: Special Features