Posted on Oct 01, 2007 | Comments 0
Majority of people in the United States are not aware of the condition osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is the main cause for bone fractures and it affects a woman with low bone mineral density.
Calcium deficiency is one of the major causes for osteoporosis.
Some other factors which cause osteoporosis include vitamin D deficiency, lack of physical activity, hormone imbalance, and acidic body pH.
According to the research, 90 percent of the girls in between 12 and 19 are calcium deficient.
Some studies found that osteoporosis can be associated with consumption of dairy products and meat.
In some developing countries, women prefer to eat plant food than food derived from animals. So, they have low incidence of the condition.
Women who ate more plant foods and less animal derived foods and practice lots of physical exercise had higher bone mineral index. So, there is a less chance of occurring osteoporosis. Women are more prone to develop osteoporosis than men. This is due to menopause.
Want to strengthen your bones? Calcium helps fight against osteoporosis by strengthening your bones. New studies show that calcium supplements taken alone or in combination with vitamin D can lower the risk of older people suffering with bone fractures.
You will find a large number of calcium supplements in any drug store. The important issue here to consider is take adequate dosage of calcium for maximum health benefits. Eat greater quantities of calcium rich foods.
New medication for osteoporosis:
Bisphosphonates are a class of drugs that can prevent fractures from osteoporosis. They work by slowing down the rate of bone thinning which results in maintaining bone density and strength. This can greatly prevent the development of osteoporosis. These drugs help preventing vertebral features.
Bisphosphonates are not suitable for all people. Pregnant women, individual with severe kidney disease and with severe heartburn or inflammation of the esophagus should not take bisphosphonates.
Alendronate is effective for both the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. It is also effective for men with osteoporosis. This drug increases your bone mineral density thus decreasing the risk of osteoporotic features. Reclast is a drug for postmenopausal women suffering from osteoporosis.
A five-step strategy to prevent osteoporosis:
- Consume the suggested amounts of calcium and vitamin D on the daily basis. The quantity of consumption changes throughout your life. So, it is better to ask your healthcare provider about the suggestion that suit your age group.
- Participate in regular, weight bearing activities. Do at least 30 minutes of activity a day. If you are not active and feel dull, talk to your doctor and start a physical activity routine.
- Reduce alcohol consumption and tobacco smoke.
- Talk to your doctor about your bone health. Learn about the good bone health and to maintain it.
- You should have the bone density test and take appropriate medications when needed.
Don’t wait until your condition becomes severe. Consult your doctor and begin the osteoporosis treatment plan.
Posted in: Muscle & Bone Disorders