Posted on Nov 21, 2007 | Comments 0
- Peanut allergy is a type of food allergy that is caused due to overreaction of the immune system. The most severe peanut allergies can result in anaphylaxis, which is a life threatening condition.
- Milk allergy is caused when the immune system reacts against one or more of the proteins found in milk.
The symptoms of milk allergy are skin rash, vomiting, hives, wheezing, constipation, and diarrhea and the symptoms can occur within few minutes after exposure or after hours.
- Soy allergy is an abnormal response of the body to the proteins found in soy. The symptoms of soy allergy are rhinitis, asthma, hives, eczema and digestive disturbances.
- Gluten is a protein found in grains like barley, wheat and rye.
The main role of gluten is to make the dough made of these grains bind, which is important in the process of making baked breads.
This protein is known to cause allergy in some people called gluten allergy.
The symptoms experienced by the person with gluten allergy are hives, abdominal pain, swelling, vomiting and difficulty in breathing.
- Shellfish allergy happens when the protein in the flesh of shellfish causes allergic reaction.
It is also possible to have an allergic reaction to shellfish gelatin, made from skin and bones of shellfish.
Avoid all types of shellfish that includes crab, lobster, shrimp, prawn and mollusks. Symptoms are hives, redness and swelling below the skin (angioedema). Shellfish allergies are major cause of anaphylactic shock.
- Egg allergy occurs after few minutes to few hours after eating eggs or foods that contain eggs. The symptoms of egg allergy are skin rashes, hives, vomiting and inflamed nasal passages.
- Yeast allergy can occur when people eat food that contains yeast as an ingredient.
Most of the baked goods like bread and bagels contain yeast.Symptoms of yeast allergy include constipation, irritability, fatigue, bloating, diarrhea, psoriasis, hives, and respiratory problems.
- A corn allergy is an increased sensitivity to corn when ingested. Consuming food with corn proteins can cause allergy symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, swelling and life-threatening anaphylactic shock.
- Chocolate allergy is caused due to the ingredients present in the chocolate such as corn syrup, lecithin, soybeans, gluten, and nuts.
Allergic reactions with chocolate include heartburn, headaches, rectal itching, coronary problems, hives and skin irritation.
- Wheat allergy is an immune system reaction to the proteins found in wheat.
Symptoms of wheat allergy can range from allergic rhinitis and gastric distress to the life threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.Avoid products that contain bran, gluten, wheat bran, wheat germ, and cereal extract.
- People suffer from caffeine allergy which is caused due to consumption of tea and coffee.
Caffeine makes the digestive system weak and the organs are not able to perform the digestion properly which leads to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and cramps in the body.
The common symptoms of caffeine allergy are headache, nasal congestion, rash, hives and anaphylactic shock.
- Nut allergy is a hypersensitivity to dietary substances from tree nuts causing an overreaction of the immune system which can lead to severe physical symptoms.
The different types of nuts that cause allergy are walnut, almond, pecan, cashew and pistachio.
The common symptoms of nut allergy are anaphylaxis, a systemic reaction that can cause shock, severe breathing difficulties, hives, asthma and cardiac arrhythmia.
- A dairy allergy is the response of the immune system to the protein found in milk and dairy products.
The major sources of dairy are milk in any form, cheese in any form, curd, yogurt, ice cream, butter, ghee and margarine.
The symptoms of dairy allergy include itchy red rash, hives, eczema, and swelling of lips, tongue, face and throat. Digestive system reactions include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating and abdominal cramps.
- Tomato allergy is an uncommon allergy type, but people suffer from this allergy one way or the other. The reactions appear quickly with tomato allergy and the person experiences tingling on the lips and mouth, dermatitis, rhinitis, urticaria and abdominal pains.
- Garlic is generally considered as a health giving herb, but there are people who are intolerant or allergic to garlic.
The symptoms of garlic allergy include diarrhea, stomach ache, breathing problems, vomiting, asthma and in severe cases, anaphylactic shock. Garlic can cause allergic reaction whether it is dried or fresh.
- People who are allergic to one type of fish, such as cod, often react to other types of fish such as hake, mackerel, and haddock.The reason is allergens in these fish are quite similar.Cooking does not destroy fish allergens.
Some people with fish allergy can be allergic to cooked fish but not raw fish. Fish allergy can cause severe asthma, oral allergy syndrome, and anaphylaxis.
- Not everyone can enjoy fresh strawberries because some experience an allergic reaction with itching and swelling in mouth and throat.
Red strawberries cause allergies. White ones do not cause because white strawberry varieties called sofar, had relatively no traces of suspected protein allergen.
- Sulfites are sulphurous acid that are used in food, medications and drinks. Sulfites are sued as preservatives.Sulfites can cause allergic reactions, a common asthma symptom in those with underlying asthma. Sulfite allergy can also cause hay fever, hives and very rarely anaphylaxis.
- People with latex allergy have allergic reactions when eating particular foods including banana, avocado, kiwifruit, chestnut, tomato, strawberry and plum.
This is because some of the proteins in latex that cause latex allergy are also present in these fruits. Symptoms of latex allergy are stuffy nose, itchy eyes, tingling in the mouth and wheezing.
- A rice allergy is potentially deadly response by a person’s immune system to rice or foods containing rice.
After a susceptible person consumes rice, immune system reacts with the release of histamines and other chemicals that trigger symptoms that range from mild to life threatening. The main symptom of rice allergy is hay fever.
Posted in: Special Features