Posted on Dec 24, 2007 | Comments 0
Ulcerative colitis along with crohn’s disease can occur any where in digestive system.
This inflammation mainly affects small and large intestines in the digestive system.
It can be in mouth or in stomach or even in anus. Entire digestive system can be affected with this inflammation.
Ulcerative colitis mainly affects people below 30 years of age.
Main victims of colitis:
Colitis along with crohn’s disease is called as inflammatory bowel disease. This inflammatory bowel disease mainly affects with in 15-30 years of age. Recent study has been made that, this inflammatory colitis is mostly seen in girls.
As girls have a very low level of albumin protein and higher levels of mouth sores, they will undergo intestinal surgery much before than boys.
How regular body functions are disturbed with colitis and crohn’s disease?
This inflammation is mainly associated with abdominal pain, diarrhea and bloating which can be cured with normal medications. If the problem turns to intestinal blockage, then surgery is recommended.
You can’t predict when this inflammation occurs and also you can’t say how long it can last. It is totally unpredictable and the effect also varies from person to person and also in same person too. Sometimes it can be mild; on the other hand it can be severe. You can even also feel relief some time.
Colitis in combination with crohn’s disease normally disturbs the regular body functions and results in constipation, nausea, malnutrition, weight loss, vomiting, and impaired child growth.
The main cause for ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease is still unknown. But one thing about this inflammatory bowel disease is it’s not contagious. If you find any of the above mentioned symptoms then immediately consult a doctor for proper medication.
There is no particular cure or treatment for ulcerative colitis if associated with crohn’s disease. Only thing that you can do is to suppress the symptoms.
Necessary diet to prevent colitis:
Proper diet is to be followed when you are suffering from inflammatory bowel disease (colitis and crohn’s disease) is given. It can help to suppress the symptoms.
- Keep your body always hydrated to avoid constipation. Drink lots of healthy fluids like juices and Drink plenty of water.
- Always keep your body nourished during flare ups. Take frequent meals with fewer amounts every time and remember to include eggs, fish and also some high nutritious food.
- Limit lactose – content foods, mainly dairy products if you cannot tolerate with lactose else wise you can take pretreated lactose foods.
- If you have under gone any intestine surgeries then you have to avoid fat content foods.
- Keep your self away from gas producing foods like onions, lentils, chives, cabbage, carbonated drinks etc.,
- Fish oil and flax seed oil are very helpful in managing ulcerative colitis.
As there is no particular cure or treatment for this inflammatory bowel disease, try to avoid the symptoms which cause ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease. Immediately consult the doctor for proper medications to prevent it.
Posted in: Digestive & Intestinal Disorders