Posted on Sep 18, 2009 | Comments 0
The humble Banana is a fruit that is tasty, easily available and is great for you!
The banana is one of the first solids that you start for an infant because it is easy to digest and to excrete due to its high fiber content.
The banana is also one of the fruits that is one of the least likely to be contaminated because of its thick skin.
Bananas are an excellent source of potassium which is one of the essential nutrients for the body’s proper functioning. The banana is said to be good for
- Preventing high blood pressure and its complications
- Decreasing risk of age related macular degeneration
- The Potassium in the bananas enables better absorption of calcium in the body ensuring that less of it is excreted
- Bananas are recommended food when one is suffering from diarrhea because it increases electrolyte replacement. A seeming contradiction is that bananas are also indicated when one is constipated!
- Acidity is seen to benefit from bananas and can also protect from peptic ulcers
- Unripe bananas benefit those with Diabetes
- They can also decrease risk of kidney cancer
- They protect against Vitamin A deficiency, thereby lowering risk of night blindness
It is easy to include bananas is our diet by snacking on them when we are hungry. You can also use them as and in desserts.
Posted in: General Health