Posted on Feb 01, 2010 | Comments 0
Going by the numerous available treatments on the market today, it appears that erectile dysfunction is one of the leading physical disorders that many men grapple with.
Erectile dysfunction refers to that condition when a man is unable to achieve a satisfactory erection essential to fulfilling sexual activity.
Though common in men aged 65 years and over, it also widely afflicts younger men.
Causes of erectile dysfunction are varied. An illness or medical condition such as heart disease or diabetes may result in the inability to achieve erection. Medication being used could also have some effects.
Psychological factors like stress and depression could also have an impact on your ability to erect satisfactorily. Sometimes erectile dysfunction could be caused by a lifestyle choice such as long-term usage of alcohol, cigarettes or drugs.
Nutritional factors may also apply particularly if your food choices are not healthy and may consist of too much processed and refined foods or eating fast foods too frequently.
Poor diets are a major cause of vascular disease which hinders erection because of the restricted flow of blood to the penis.
What natural treatments are available for erectile dysfunction?
- Diet ― sound nutrition can help in addressing erectile dysfunction. Eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and cruciferous vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables are also extremely beneficial in reducing the risk of cancers. Avoid eating too much refined and over-processed foods. Eat as much natural produce as possible and whole foods. Limit your sugar intake, fried foods, alcohol and caffeine.
- Nutritional supplements are extremely beneficial to our overall health and wellbeing. Indeed, supplements are a crucial factor in meeting our optimal nutritional needs. Specific nutritional supplements have been found extremely beneficial in treating erectile dysfunction. These include zinc, vitamins C and E, flaxseed, and bioflavonoid.
- Ginkgo and ginseng have been widely used in treating erectile dysfunction. Ginkgo is one of the oldest species of medicinal trees. It is thought that the leaves of the ginkgo tree contain certain substances that thin the blood and help soothe the muscles of the blood vessels, thus enhancing flow of blood. Ginseng is an herb which can be brewed to produce tea. It is said to be beneficial in treating erectile dysfunction and has few side effects.
- Horny goat weed (epimedium) is an herbal remedy that the Chinese have used as medication for centuries. It is thought to be helpful in raising low levels of testosterone and the thyroid hormone. Few side effects have been reported although large doses can cause breathing difficulties.
- Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese healing method that uses extremely fine needles. These are stuck into specific areas of the body and are believed to correct imbalances in the body and enhance the capacity to withstand illness. There have been reported successes in using acupuncture to treat erectile dysfunction.
Posted in: Men's Health