Posted on Aug 25, 2010 | Comments 0
Have you heard of Crohn’s disease? It has rocked the medical world since specialists can’t exactly pinpoint its causes. What they only know is that it roots from genetics and poor lifestyle. This condition results from inflammation in the intestines. Even today, Crohn’s disease treatment is still a mystery but there are ways on how to prevent it.
Crohn’s disease treatment is not the treatment for the disease itself but for the symptoms that it actually emits on an individual.
It is a chronic ailment and patients must look for Crohn’s disease treatment for its ailing symptoms. You can tell if you’re suffering from this disease when you experience the following symptoms:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- High fever
- Pain in the rectal area
- Night sweats
- Lack of appetite
- Bleeding of the rectum
- Development of ulcers, anal fistulae, and per-rectal abscesses
Bear in mind though that these symptoms vary depending on the area where inflammation occurred, its severity and extent.
Just like with other diseases, doctors usually prescribe antibiotics to treat Crohn’s disease together with other treatments. If you are interested to learn more about Crohn’s disease treatment, here are some of the ways it can be done:
- Anti-inflammatory medications: Do you know that anti-inflammatory medicines used in treating joint inflammation in arthritis can also be used as a Crohn’s disease treatment? Antibiotics, 5-ASA compounds, corticosteroids, immune-modulators, and antibiotics are widely used as treatments.
- Rectal medications: Suppositories and enemas are also effective. They can help ease inflammation in the rectal area and prevent severe discomforts during elimination of waste.
- The use of alternative medicines: Specialists and patients alike have been using alternative medicine such as herbal medicine and other significant oils for Crohn’s disease treatment.Although there are no scientific claims to this, you may be given hope in these treatments. Another alternative Crohn’s disease treatment is the use of an ancient Chinese practice called acupuncture.
- The use of surgery: Even with the use of surgery, this is still not a sure shot way of eliminating the disease itself. This Crohn’s disease treatment is used to help in removing the blockages the disease itself tends to inhibit in your system.Remember that there is only so much surgery can do to prevent the disease from happening again, especially if the primary medication has failed.
- The utilization of a proper lifestyle: Studies have shown that if you cut down on stress and fatigue it will help in preventing the disease. Proper exercise and diet is also one way to decrease the chances of having it again. Smoking and excessive eating also contribute to it.
These treatments may be effective but patients are still highly advised to consult their doctor before taking any of the treatments, especially medications.
Crohn’s disease is still one big puzzle which doctors are painstakingly trying to solve. There’s no definite Crohn’s treatment yet but one thing’s for sure: it can be prevented.
Posted in: Digestive & Intestinal Disorders