Posted on Oct 07, 2010 | Comments 0
A woman’s reproductive system is a complexity and a miracle in itself. In her womb, a life is created, a human being is conceived. Due to the influx of technology, babies may either be conceived naturally or through other means such as in vitro fertilization.
IVF implantation takes place when the blastocyst embryo has started to interact with a receptive endometrial lining. This happens within six to ten days from egg retrieval and within five days from the blastocyst transfer.
In ivf implantation, it is believed that the moment the blastocyst has hatched out of its shell, the actual attachment should begin within a day. However, in some cases, ivf implantation is rather late.
Doctors believe that this is due to the embryo’s slow development or the late development of the uterine’s receptivity or it could be both. Oftentimes, the same causes are considered of ivf implantation failure.
The sucess of an ivf implantation depends on many factors. These include the following:
- Woman’s total health: You are guaranteed of a successful ivf implantation when you’re in good health and has an outstanding medical record.
- Sperm quality: The kind of sperm also affects the whole process, it must be the best among the millions to ensure the quality of the embryo.
- Shape of the uterus and fallopian tubes: The uterus and fallopian tubes are important organs of the female reproductive system and doctors must see to it that are normal. The uterus in particular will serve as the home of the baby for nine months.
- Ivf technique used: Ivf has several steps. The doctor conducting the implantation must be skilled enough to get through the whole procedure successfully. Ivf is a very sensitive procedure that a single mistake can already ruin the whole process.
- Lifestyle: Women who are fond of smoking and drinking have lower chances of having children through ivf.
Immediately after the ivf implantation, doctors may prescribe certain medicines. These medications, aimed at increasing the progesterone during implantation, come in the form of injections which the woman may administer herself. Doctors may also prescribe the use of progesterone suppositories.
Side effects may manifest within one to several days after ivf implantation. Among these symptoms are bleeding, spotting and abdominal cramps. Bleeding is normal as a result of the embryo’s interaction with the uterine lining.
IVF implantation is feasible whenever a woman has previously failed in vitro fertilization transfer cycles, has ectopic pregnancy and tubal disease. The procedure can be done in an office setting in less than ten minutes. IVF implantation is a painless procedure and does not need anesthesia.
An in vitro fertilization cycle is considered complete after the embryo has been implanted. Most ivf clinics offer luteal phase support to further increase the chances of implantation. Patients are advised to return after two weeks to determine if pregnancy has occured. Meanwhile, during the two-week waiting period, a woman may not do strenuous activities. Although, this period can be filled with mixed emotions, it is always best to be positive and prepared of the possible outcome. Should the result is unfavorable, couples may opt to get another treatment.