Posted on Jan 20, 2011 | Comments 0
The common nail infection of Toe fungus or Onychomycosis may affect up to 8% of the adult population characterized by yellow, thick or cloudy appearance of the nails. It can affect the nails both the hands and the feet.
Before initiating toe fungus treatment, it is important to confirm that the problem is indeed caused by mold or fungus and is not some other nail problem like lichen planus, nail psoriasis, trauma, contact dermatitis, or yellow nail syndrome.
Also, prior to initiating medical try seeing if any home treatments stated below will work for you –
- It is important that when you start any kind of toe fungus treatment you also take adequate measures to prevent recurrence of the problem side by side and even after the problem has been resolved. Fungal infections have a high rate of recurrence and so make sure that the conditions that gave rise to the problem don’t recur. Keep the feet dry and clean, and also wear socks that are clean and dry, made from appropriate material. Eating balanced nutrient rich diet can also help in keeping such infections at bay.
- Some people recommend use of Vicks Vaporub as toe fungus treatment. Applying it topically a couple of times a day is thought to work because of ingredients such as eucalyptus oil, camphor and menthol that the product contains which can help to kill the fungal infestation.
- Tea tree oil may also be an effective toe fungus treatment because it is known to have natural anti microbial properties. Clinical studies have also shown the efficacy of tea tree oil as a treatment for toenail fungus, athlete’s foot and so on. Remember tea tree oil is always to be used only as a topical remedy and must never be ingested.
- Probiotics, the live ‘friendly’ bacteria found in the human gut is seen to be used not only for curing digestive problems it can also treat skin problems such as eczema or for internal yeast infection. To use this toe fungus treatment is to eat foods rich in these good bacteria, such as yoghurt, sauerkraut, kefir and so on. Sometimes all it takes to cure a toe fungus infection is to restore the balance of the bacterial colonization in the gut.
- Oregano oil is another toe fungus treatment that can be done at home since it is known to have anti fungal and bacterial fighting properties. So much so that research has demonstrated how oregano oil can be work even better than antifungal drugs on infections such as Candida. Use oregano oil by dilution in some other kind of carrier oil such as olive or similar.
- Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar are also home remedies for toe nail fungus. Soaking the feet in a solution of vinegar diluted by water can help to get rid of the fungal infection by creating a hostile acidic environment for the fungus which thrives in alkaline environments. However if there are cuts, scrapes or similar open wounds on the feet, this could sting.
Posted in: Skin Disorders