Posted on Feb 22, 2012 | Comments 0
The Milk Thistle is a type of flowering plant that has been used as a natural remedy for centuries. Its name comes from the plant’s leaves which contain a milky liquid and look as if they have been spotted with white.
Nowadays, the plant is used as a natural way to protect the liver, ensure its function and to treat liver diseases.
Medical uses of the milk thistle
Scientists have conducted studies to determine the therapeutic effects of the plant, side effects and the development of medical treatments for various types of liver diseases and other medical problems. According to the medical studies, this natural remedy is safe and tolerated by the patients.
The seeds of the plant contain a substance called silymarin which is extracted for medicinal purposes.
Other health benefits
The recent medical studies have shown that the milk thistle extract is beneficial in the medical treatments for:
- Individuals who suffer from type 2 diabetes and cirrhosis by lowering their body’s insulin resistance
- Reducing the cholesterol
- In the case of prostate, breast or cervical cancer, it has reduced the growth of the cells
- The damaging effects of the chemotherapeutic treatment on the liver are reduced
- Individuals who suffer from hepatitis have better liver functions
- Can be used in the treatment of individuals who suffer from diabetic nephropathy
It is recommended that before you decide on using a certain therapy or medical treatment for any type of disease or illness, you consult with your doctor or a healthcare specialist. Once you have consulted your doctor, you can then visit one of the healthy food stores, such as Hollandandbarrett.com.
Posted in: General Health