Posted on Jul 16, 2013 | Comments 0
Congestive heart failure is one of the many complications which can affect the heart. In this condition, the heart does not stop working but the pumping power of the heart becomes weaker than it is under normal circumstances. This means that the blood inside our bodies moves at a much slower rate than before and that puts the heart under tremendous pressure.
Thus heart cannot pump enough amount of oxygen to meet the requirements of the body. As a result of this, fluid fills up the different parts of the body and body is said to become congested. Thus this condition is termed as ‘congested heart failure. The following are some of the main symptoms of congestive heart failure:
Common symptoms of congestive heart failure
- A person with this problem of the heart might face difficulties while breathing in the night or anytime when he/she lies down.
- Coughing and wheezing are the other two common symptoms of heart failure but are generally accompanies with the other symptoms.
- A feeling of weakness and fatigue are also two signs that a person might be experiencing congestive failure of the heart.
- If you have been experiencing all of the above give symptoms along with a persistent shortness of breath, then you might want to get yourself checked for heart failure.
- Swollen ankles are another sign of heart failure.
Some other signs of congestive heart failure are:
Apart from the common signs and symptoms, some other symptoms include:
- Loss of appetite along with a bloating like feeling is another symptom to watch out for.
- Abdominal pain is also experienced by those who are going through the problem of heart failure.
- A person suffering from a weak heart might also experience bluish colored skin around the area of the mouth.
- Constipation is another sign which if accompanied by all these other symptoms can mean heart failure condition.
- A person with congestive heart failure might also develop pale skin.
- A person with the problem of heart failure is also likely to develop cold feet and hands.
- Constant need to urinate in the night is another problem which people with congestive heart failure experience.
Appearance of these symptoms can get delayed for many years and thus it is difficult to identify this condition. But once you feel that you might be suffering from congestive heart failure, you must immediately consult a heart specialist.
Posted in: Heart Diseases