Posted on Sep 12, 2013 | Comments 0
Astigmatism is an eye condition in which the cornea is oval in shape unlike normally where the shape of the cornea is round. In this condition, the shape of the cornea is like the bottom of a spoon. This means that the light rays that enter the eye gets scattered instead of focusing on the same point. This results in a blurry vision. Astigmatism of the eye symptoms involves complications in sight and therefore causes a lot of problem for the person who suffers from this syndrome.
Symptoms and Complications
The cause of astigmatism of the eye is not known and it is probably considered to be genetic. Some of the symptoms related to the problem are mentioned below:
- The major symptom of astigmatism is that the person might be able to focus on an object, but the peripheral field of the view is blurred and not completely clear. This causes a huge disturbance in the sight. People suffering from astigmatism usually suffer from nearsightedness too. If this condition is not treated and corrected properly then the person gets a blurry view with excessive focus on certain objects.
- Headache and eyestrain is a common symptom of astigmatism. This unclear vision creates huge strain on the optical nerves and hence the eyestrain and headache.
- Astigmatism typically does not create halos, brightness, dimming or does not provide any outward change in the appearance of the eye.
- Symptoms of astigmatism also involve squinting of the eye and a specific condition known as asthenopia.
- Researchers have found migraine headaches and astigmatism interlinked with one another.
The intensity and degree of astigmatism changes with time and complications increase if not treated at the right time. However, these changes are not very sudden and rapid. It is a gradual and long term process.
Prevention of Astigmatism
- Glasses and contact lenses with toric lens help people who are suffering from astigmatism of the eye. This helps to balance the effects of astigmatism.
- Surgical procedures of the eye also reshape the cornea and thus improving the problems of eyesight. For people who also have nearsightedness, surgery can help cure that too. Laser eye surgeries like LASIK and PRK are popularly known surgeries which help in treating conditions of astigmatism.
- Corneal incisions often help to correct astigmatism of the eye. However laser surgeries are much more commonly used than the procedure of incision.
Posted in: Eye Disorders