Types Of Blood Sugar Tests To Measure BSL
In order to treat your diabetes, blood sugar test is an essential component. You can have either high or low blood sugar.
The normal blood sugar range stays consistent with small or minute fluctuations during the day.
The levels may very well reflect and depend on what you are doing. The normal blood sugar range is between 4 to 8 mol/L.
The blood sugar level (BSL) in our bodies reflects and react to move and function as we are on the go throughout the day.
BSL can increase to higher levels after the meal. You might have the lowest BSL levels in the morning, after a long night of sleep and before breakfast.
For monitoring purposes and effectiveness, you are ordered to do blood sugar test at the same time every day. The blood sugar test will clearly show where and how the fluctuations occur and what to do about it.
Types of blood sugar test:
Blood sugar test 1: Random blood sugar level type tests
- Random blood sugar test or blood work routine, is a part of physical, upon complaint by you, for diagnostic purposes or for a particular suspicion or clinical reason.
- The main goal of this test is establishing and monitoring your blood sugar levels.
- There is no special attention given for the meals, portion, and frequency, time of the day or beverages consumed.
What do the readings/results mean?
- Normal if under 100mg/dl
- Pre-diabetic if levels are in between 100-199 mg/dL
- Type I or type II diabetes if over 200 mg/dL
Blood sugar test 2: Fasting blood sugar levels type tests
After fasting for 8 hours, BSL are measured and recorded.
- If the BSL is lower than 100 mg/dL, then you are in normal level.
- If BSL is between 100-125 mg/dL, then you are pre-diabetic.
- If BSL is 126+, then you have type I or Type II diabetes.
- If BSL is 200 mg/dL+, it is a standard second testing and you require immediate diagnosis.
Blood sugar test 3: Oral glucose hemoglobin test
This test procedure can be performed very often during pregnancy to spot any risk or related diabetic conditions. After this, normal levels are taken. In this blood sugar test, you need to consume a sugary drink and 1 or 2 hrs after drinking; the test can be performed to see how your body copes, adjusts and deals with glucose.
- If BSL is 140 mg/dL or lower, then it is normal.
- If BSL is 140-199 mg/dL, then you are pre-diabetic.
- If BSL is above 200 mg/dl+, then you have type I or type II diabetes.
Blood sugar test on your own:
It is essential that you should learn how to measure and monitor your own blood sugar. With the help of devices, aids, and tools in the market, you can conduct your own blood sugar test.
Whenever you do measure your BSL levels, you can immediately know how and when to make adjustments to control BSL. You may make changes in diet and insulin.
Here are some devices that you can use to conduct your own blood sugar test:
- Glucose meters – blood sugar results and calculations, reading displays.
- Lancet and lancing device – Pricking skin and drawing blood
- Test strip – blood collection and insertion into the glucose meter
After the diagnosis and blood sugar test confirmation readings, the next stage you have to move is prognosis and treatment plans. In order to get relief, you need to make changes in dieting, weight loss and medications, even significant changes to your lifestyle, choices, food and nutrition, exercise and activity regimens.